Dizziness and symptoms
Dizziness is a feeling associated with the human body where you feel weak and unsteady. Fainting and wooziness are associated with dizziness. Vertigo is a situation where you feel like your whole surrounding is spinning when it is not. Vertigo will lead to dizziness. Dizziness is one of the symptoms shown by many adults where you require a dizziness specialist for treatment. Dizziness is one of the reasons why many adults go to the hospital or clinic for treatment during their old age.
If you are someone with frequent dizziness, then you have to visit a dizziness specialist immediately. Even though it is not a serious problem, it will affect your daily life to a great extent.Treatment for dizziness is decided based on the symptoms and the causes. Most of the treatment methods adopted for treating dizziness are effective.But the chances of reoccurring the problem are not slim.
From various surveys and inquiries from people experiencing dizziness or the people who have experience dizziness, the following symptoms were shown.
- The feeling of vertigo (spinning sensation of the surrounding)
- Felling of wooziness
- Light or heavy headedness
- Feeling like you are going to faint
- Unsteadiness of the body
- Feels like your body is floating
Your condition may get worse when you try to stand up, walk, etc… when you are having any of the above conditions. Dizziness may make you feel tired suddenly such that you will feel like sitting or lying down. You may also feel nauseous during dizziness. These are some of the effects that happen when you have severe dizziness. Dizziness may last from a few seconds to minutes. But when it is a severe case, it may last for several days, weeks, and even months. During such situations, it is crucial to visit a dizziness specialist.
Symptoms where you have to visit a doctor
If you are someone who has recurring episodes of dizziness or vertigo, you have to visit a hospital. Also, make sure to visit the hospital when you have a sudden or severe episode of dizziness or vertigo. You have to avail yourself of immediate treatment if you feel dizziness along with the following symptoms.
- When you have a sudden or severe headache
- When you undergo chest pain
- When you feel like fainting
- When you feel like your heart beats are irregular
- If you face problems with your speech
- When you have difficulty in breathing
- When you are facing double vision
- When you feel numbness on your arms, legs, or face
- When you have difficulty walking
- When you undergo a seizure
- When you are continuously vomiting
- When you stumble while walking
- When you face difficulty in hearing
Dizziness may occur due to various reasons. It can happen as a side effect of your medication, when you have a disturbance in your inner ear, when you have motion sickness, etc… Dizziness may also occur due to poor health conditions such as low circulation of blood, injuries, or infections that are not visible. Causes of dizziness can be identified with the triggering factors, symptoms, and feelings.
Proper diagnoses of dizziness help in determining how long will the episode last and its cause. Problems associated with the inner ear are a major reason for dizziness. Body balance is always determined by your sensory organs. The eyes, ears, and nervous systems are the main factors that determine the body’s balance. The eyes help in analysing the movements of the body. When you take a back-and-forth motion, it is the inner ear that helps you with your motion.
Inner ears can also sense the gravity effects. These help in having quicker movements. Sensory systems send messages from the brain to the body through nerves. These help in body movements and body positions. Vertigo is a situation where your surrounding feels like spinning. It is a false sensation. It usually happens when your inner ear undergoes certain disorders. These disorders confuse the eyes and ears and send false signals from the brain to the body through the nerves.
Vertigo mainly happens when your body and brain try to sort out the situation. Dizziness will create malfunction within your nerves and sensory organs. The blood pumping from the heart to the brain may vary from the regular during an episode. This will create dizziness, fainting, and off-balancing of the body.
Causes of dizziness
- When there is a sudden drop in blood pressure level. This may create light-headedness in the body. The chances of fainting are also high during this situation. This can happen when you try to sit down or stand up very quickly.
- When the blood circulation within the body is poor or improper. Dizziness may happen due to a heart attack, transient ischemic attack, or cardiomyopathy. When the blood volume of the body decreases, the flow of blood to the brain and inner ear will also get reduced. This may cause serious damage to your body.
- Neurological conditions also affect dizziness. A loss in the body balance can occur due to nervous disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
- Dizziness can also occur as a side effect of some medications. If you are someone using medications such as sedatives, antidepressants, tranquilizers, etc… the chances of having dizziness are not low. Also, the intake of medication for lowering your blood pressure level can cause dizziness. It is because, at times when you take the medicine, your blood pressure level goes down too much, causing fainting.
- People with an anxiety disorder also undergo dizziness. The light-headedness and wooziness experienced by people with anxiety disorders are often taken as dizziness. Some of these disorders include the fear of being in a big room or open space, panic attacks, etc…
- Low iron level often termed anemia, also causes dizziness. If you are an anemic person, some of the other symptoms along with dizziness are pale skin, fatigue, and body weakness.
Low level of blood sugar called hypoglycemia, occurs in people having diabetes. Diabetic people take insulin for lowering their blood sugar levels. But when this level is lower than the minimum required, it creates dizziness along with heavy sweating ad anxiety issues.