When it comes to making your workshop or office run more efficiently, then being able to find the tools, materials, or equipment you need immediately, and without having to search, is essential. If your work area has limited space, then using storage drawers to sort out your things can give you more free space. So, let’s look at what storage drawers are, and we will give you a few tips on organising them.
Usually made from plastic or metal, storage drawers are a convenient system to sort and store anything from pins to screws to tools or materials. The plastic ones generally have clear fronts to easily see the contents and nearly all storage drawers have space for adding a label. They are available in different shapes and sizes with varying amounts of drawers offered in them.
If you really want your storage drawers to work efficiently than we recommend you follow these organisation tips:
- Categories – separate everything you need to put in the storage drawers into their categories, such as screws, nuts and bolts, pens, pins, paper, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. From here you can then break them into sub-categories, such as wood screws and metal screws, safety pins and pushpins or dressmaking pins, socket sets and adjustable wrenches, etc.
- Layout – now that the items are separated into their final categories, you need to find out how much space each category, and the sub-categories, will need. Things like nails and screws you will store in deeper drawers. Whereas socket spanners will need to lay flat or laid on their side. Screwdrivers can be laid out with handles at alternating ends to save room.
- Labels – use easily readable labels with as much detail as necessary to make identifying the items in your storage drawers easy.
- Dividers – some storage drawers come with permanent dividers, and some have movable ones. By using dividers, you can take advantage of all the space in the drawer and put more items in one area.
- Out of the box – take advantage of the spare spaces in your workshop/office. Put your storage drawers on top of shelves or cupboards, and put them inside cabinets and bigger drawers to make the most of your space.
Make sure the storage drawers work for you and your needs. Change them around and customise them to suit. Just because the storage drawer you have is meant for cutlery, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work perfectly for pens and textas.
For quality storage drawers then we recommend that you buy them from a reputable dealer. With over 75 years of service, we suggest you try RS. They have 84 storage options available, all made by quality companies.
By using our top organisation tips for storage drawers, you will save space and you will make it so much easier to find everything you need. Order the perfect storage drawers for your office or workshop online from the team at RS. Contact them today to get your work in order.