Wearing a wig in order to boost your confidence and looks has become a norm these days. It is not only acceptable to wear a wig, it is more than welcome. After all, who said empowerment was something undesirable? However, once you acquire a wig after thorough research, you need to be able to provide it with proper upkeep. By keeping your wig in ship shape for the next use and being able to properly style your wig, you are making sure you get every penny’s worth return from the investment you’ve made on the wig bought from Urgirl. So, once you’ve got what you were looking for, follow these steps to finally put it to some good use.
Step by Step Guide to Wig – Wearing –
Step 1 – Prepping your Hair
Before putting on a wig, make sure that your real hair is lying as flat as possible. If you have short hair, brush it back and hold it in place using pins. You could also use hair gel or spray to keep the locks from flying hither and thither. For longer hair, however, you could consider braiding it in a cornrow – style pattern. Not much of a braider? No worries, you could also wrap it around your head and use bobby pins to hold it in place.
Step 2 – Donning the Wig Cap
While putting the wig cap on, going from back to front is the proper way to make sure all lose strands of your real hair get properly covered. Make sure that the wig cap matches your scalp skin – tone. It would be helpful to note that the skin tone on your scalp is usually lighter than the skin – tone on the rest of your body. However, if the wig cap doesn’t exactly match your scalp, you could always use foundation to cover up any discrepancies.
Step 3 – Securing the Wig Cap in Place
Once the wig is on, you need to make sure that it stays long until you decide to take it off. You could use anything from this list, that feels the most comfortable to you –
- Bobby pins – Find bobby pins that match the shade of your wig and slide them between the wig and your real hair. Being the cheapest way to hold your wigs in place, these pins can be used as sparingly or as abundantly as you want!
- Wig clips – More stable and longer – lasting than pins, snaps or wig clips can be sewed on along with the wig to keep it in place.
- Wig glue – More popular with the experienced wig wearers who prefer lace – front wigs, wig glue allows for a tighter fit. All you have to do is to apply it along the hairline, let it dry for half a minute and then press the wig down. Using glue will help you make sure that the wig doesn’t slip right off your head!
- Wig tape – People suffering from hair thinning or sensitive scalp problems can opt for wig tape instead of wig glue.
Step 4 – Securing the Wig in place
As you would wear a beanie, starting at the bottom, pull up your wig onto your head. Make sure that the wig’s hairline stays on top of the gel. Also, make sure that the wig is flawlessly covering the wig cap.
Step 5 – Making Adjustments
You could consider wrapping a scarf around your head for some time, in order to make sure the wig sits properly on your head. To test it out, shake your head – shake it like you mean it – and wait for the wig to fall off or tilt – or maybe not!
Pro – Tips for Wearing a Wig for the first time –
It’s not going to be easy to wait to try on your new wig, especially if you’re a first – time user. However, you might want to slow down a little. Not taking proper care before putting a new wig on might result in irreparable damages. Here are some crucial Pro – Tips to consider if you’re a first time wig wearer –
- How to Adjust the Wig Cap Size
It is important to note that all head sizes and shapes are not the same. So, if you want to have a comfortable wig experience, you need to make sure to properly break – in the new wig for 3 – 4 days. If the wig is too loose, you could tighten the wig straps to get a proper fit. If it a too tight however, spray a little water on it with care, to loosen it up a bit.
- How to Style the Wig
After you remove your new wig from its packaging, give it a gentle shake to liven it up a bit. Then, proceed to brush it and apply any products that you want. However, make sure that you only use products recommended for the type of wig you have purchased. If it’s a human hair wig, you could use a hair iron to set the desired style and use hair – spray to lock it in. In case of a synthetic hair wig, on the other hand, make sure that you use heat only if the wig is labelled to be heat – resistant.
- How to Keep the Wig Clean
Along – with following the cleaning instructions that have come with your wig, you could also follow some general cleaning guidelines, like –
- For synthetic hair, mix a teaspoon of sulphate free shampoo and conditioner for wigs in cold water and drench the wig in it. Let it soak for a few minutes, while cleaning out any hair glue or tape from the hairline. After rinsing off the shampoo, blot excess water by laying the wig on a towel and then let it dry naturally. Make sure its dry inside and out before using it again.
- For human hair, mix a teaspoon of sulphate free wig shampoo and conditioner in warm water and soak the wig in it. Clean the hairline and then rinse off the shampoo. Finally, drain all excess water and let the wig dry out completely before putting it on again.
- How to Customize the Wig to your face and liking
Once you put on the wig, you might notice that it looks a little high on top, or that it’s too long or that the bangs should have been shorter. Before giving up however, you could run a flat iron to make it lie flatter or visit a hairdresser to cut it as per your liking. There is almost always a way to make a wig look natural. You just have to have some patience to get some experimentation done to find that perfect look!
At the end of the day, don’t forget that this is not your real hair. What does that mean? Well, it means that you can have some fun with it while styling, no need to stress out, relax and enjoy creating your new look!